Catt Fishin’

 


After a decade long break, I’ve decided to get back into fishing, so I headed off to the Cattaraugus creek. I used to fish ponds and at Chautauqua Lake every summer when I was younger. Creek fishing is a different beast. I’ll learn the nuances as I go. I’m going out to fish. If I catch a fish, great. If not, great. Let’s give ‘er a go. 


I spent the first hour fussing with my gear, trying to get my casting smoothed out, and working on my lure technique. I thought I got a heavy hit on one cast. I was sure it was a whale biting at my hook. But after several more casts in the same area, I realized I was catching a large rock. Other highlights of the morning were an errant cast that I nearly caught a giant blue bridge with. And another time the top half of my pole flew off into the water. That’s called working the kinks out!

I decided to give the fish a break from chasing my bait so hard. I had some breakfast and smoked a doobie. 



After my snack tray of weed, trail mix, Triscuits, cranberry havarti, and summer sausage I had the energy and focus needed to reel in a fish. 

About 45 minutes later, I was able to do just that. I caught a monster cock fish



I’m gonna get this one mounted. It’s a trophy! 


What are your plans for the weekend? 

Any good “fishing tales” to share?

Comments

Popular Posts